Monday, October 1, 2018

Francis Bogside

Francis Bogside
Late September


I think this bar made one of the "hot lists" in San Antonio for restaurant openings.  Being from Chicago, people often ask me about the differences between it and San Antonio.  In Chicago, the foodie magazines write articles titled "Top 10 restaurant openings this month."  In San Antonio, the foodie magazines write articles titled "Top 10 restaurant openings this year."  So given the rarity of a new find, the Bur-gal and I headed to the newest bar from the Blue Box group, Francis Bogside.



Service and Setting
It is an Irish-style pub that has an irregular shape with plenty of nooks.  Dimly lit with several booths,  it is adorned with classic booze bar signs/advertisements and a proud display of spirits.  They have no TVs, but given it was earlier on a Saturday night, they did play a college football game on a projector.  They had a two band line-up starting at 10.  Service was fast and attentive.

Menu
I would describe it as high-end bar food.  Burgers, wings, pretzels, and pizzas with a couple surprising Thai dishes.  It is limited in number, but they are interesting.

Beverage
They have an excellent draft list with some IPA favorites of mine like Jai Alai and Space Dust.  As expected, they have a good Irish whisky offering.   Cocktail list is half classics and half new attempts.

Sides
The burger comes with house chips and a $2 up-charge for fries or coleslaw.  I was very happy with the fries.  A nice deep cook giving a thick crisp.  Their house ketchup has a little something extra to give it more flavor than Hines fancy ketchup which was enough for the Bur-gal.  I asked for some hot sauce to go with that and they brought out an awesome mango-habenero-like sauce that went great with the ketchup.

Patty
The waitress was unsure about the size of the patty, but it looks like a quarter pounder.  Feeling hungry I went double patty and egg.  Being a thin griddle paddy, there wasn't an option for doneness - it didn't matter.  This burger was so savory I am having flashbacks that are making my mouth water.  That perfect juiciness homogenized all of the other ingredients to coat the pallet and kept me napkin dabbing the corners of my mouth.  Excellent flavor coming from the grill.  One bite and I was in a state of burger nirvana.

Dress and Bun
They do a high-gloss egg wash bun with that small amount of sweetness that makes the burger sing.  It would overwhelm a single patty, but works well with the double.  American cheese, egg, and mayo topping gel everything together.  The produce was sliced a bit thin, but tasted fine.

The Verdict
I don't often write burger poetry, but some meals turn you back into a burger-romantic.  I give it an enthusiastic 5 spurs, and one I'll be recommending it to other aficionados frequently.



No comments:

Post a Comment