Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Maverick


Late November

I have been traveling a bit around Thanksgiving and my SA burger consumption has dwindled.  For that reason, I am honored to post special guest burger review by my trusty burger companion, Geoff.

After my wife and I cooked dinner on Thanksgiving and the day after, the in-laws took us to Maverick for an early Saturday dinner. I had been there twice, but this was my first Maverick Burger experience.

Service and Setting
The layout, furniture and decorations were stylish and comforting. I only questioned the coiled-rope lamp shades. A great pleasure, the dining room acoustics allow you to easily hear everyone at your own table without hearing those at neighboring tables.
The servers were prompt, friendly and helpful. Our waitress even made a Walt Griswold joke, which was appreciated by at least one member of our party.

Menu
One burger, a few pastas, a few fish, several meat options and several small plates. The menu is a combination of dinner plate, a-la-carte and tapas. The burger is $15, and the more sophisticated fare is around $25-35 per person.

Beverage
You will find a few interesting, tasteful cocktails and a few great beers. I am unqualified to comment on the wine list which is a shame because it is probably the best section of the beverage side of the menu.

Sides
The burger came with crispy, thick cut fries. Belgian style frites would have felt appropriate at Maverick, but alas, it was not so.

Patty
I ordered that the burger be cooked medium, and it arrived at the table just shy of well-done. Despite this, the patty was juicy without being too fatty. It had an all-around beef flavor which is missing at other restaurants that go heavy on the grease. I usually find well-done burgers to lack flavor, but the patty was still the star of the show.

Dress and Bun
The lettuce, tomato and onion were fresh and complemented the patty without distracting from it. The bun was a tremendous disappointment. Not fluffy or toasty, likely freezer-burned.

The Verdict
I highly recommend Maverick, but not for the burger. The patty was thick and had great flavor, but it was overcooked. The bun was just plain bad. 3 pickle slices out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment